Tuesday, December 8, 2009

So Much For Privacy In Voting!!

So much for privacy in voting! When I cast my vote for Mayor in November, I was given all the privacy I needed. Not that I needed any, because anyone who knows me, knew I was voting for Michael Flaherty. I had on my Flaherty for Mayor T-shirt. I wore my Flaherty/Yoon button. I wore a Flaherty Lapel Label and I stood outside my polling location holding a Flaherty/Yoon sign for 13 hours! I didn't give my privacy a second thought, because I was that excited and proud, not to mention I wasn't given a choice of ballot sheet because all the candidates were listed on ONE ballot sheet. 
Well today was a whole different scenario. Not that I'm not proud of my vote, I am, without question. However, voting is supposed to be a personal and private decision, unless one chooses to voice the candidate they are endorsing. When I walked into my polling location today, I knew I was going to vote for Scott Brown. Again, those who know me, knew this as well. However, the people working the polling station didn't need to know who I was voting for and neither did the people in line behind me. I had no plans to discuss it. I was just going to go in, cast my vote, and leave. It wasn't that easy and it got me a little ticked off. I'm sure this is the way it's always been and I just never realized how So NOT Private voting really is, because I never really cared all that much. All I was concerned with when I first started voting was exercising MY RIGHT to vote. Well with the state our country is in today, I CARE! I pay very close attention to politics these days and vote not only because it is MY RIGHT to do so, but because I want people in office that are going to protect ALL MY RIGHTS and are going to work for the best interest of the AMERICAN PEOPLE.
So this is what happens: there are three ways a person can be registered. One can be a Democrat, a Republican, or an Unenrolled, such as myself. If you are a registered Democrat, you walk into your polling location and you are given the ballot sheet with all the Democratic candidates listed on it. If you are registered as a Republican, they give you the ballot sheet with the Republican candidates listed on it. No questions asked. Just a ballot sheet handed to you. Sounds easy enough right? Not if you are registered as unenrolled. If you are registerede as unenrolled, they have to ask you which ballot sheet you would prefer. And you have to tell them either a Democrat ballot sheet or a  Republican ballot sheet. Now, everyone standing behind you knows which way you are voting and so do the people working the polling station. Like I said, I'm proud of my vote, but now everyone in the room knows that there are four candidates that didn't get my vote. They don't know if I voted for Brown or Robinson but they do know I didn't vote for a Democrat. I am proud of that too. I have no regrets that I proudly asked for a Republican ballot sheet, but I'm sure pissed off that I didn't get the same respect of privacy that a registered Democrat or a registered Republican received. No question and answer forum for them to cast a vote. But, because I am registered as unenrolled they don't seem to know what to do. Here's an idea! Put ALL THE NAMES ON ONE BALLOT SHEET!! It's nobody's business who I'm voting for. If I want you to know...I promise, I will tell you! So, that being said, here's what I think...Sarah Palin for President. Glenn Beck for VP. John Ciccone for Governor. Michael Flaherty for Mayor. Michael McGee for State Rep. And last but not least....Privacy in voting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment