Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Procrastination

When I decided to volunteer with Michael Flaherty's Mayoral campaign I thought it was because I believed we needed a new Mayor. Now I know it was me just procrastinating. I didn't want to clean the house! For 7 months I was able to justify not cleaning my house, because I was tired of the crime rate going up in my neighborhood, so I went out and held signs instead. I'd drive to Dunkin Donuts in the morning for my coffee and see all the little ones on their way to school and I'd think poor darlings, hope their school is one of the very few that is on par. Can't clean the house today, they need my help. The next day, I figured I would enjoy my paper and the coffee at Black Falcon, so I could get my self pumped up to clean the house and lo and behold there on the front page...more corruption within City Hall. How can I clean the house now? My community needs a new Mayor more than ever. So off to the committee I went to do some mailings. Ok, now I can clean the house. Oh, wait, how much of that mail was returned? We need to get the word out, let me get on the computer and put new addresses in and take old ones out. The house can wait a little longer. It isn't going anywhere. Let's get that returned mail back out there and while we're at it let's send out those other letters that need to go out. Great, that's done, I hear my house calling for it's bath. Wait just one minute! Who said what when commenting on the article about Michael and Sam teaming up?? OH NO THEY DIDN'T!! Well I can't let them get away with that, I have to put my 2 cents in. Hey lets make it 4 cents. Can I get 6? Finally, my house. It's cleaning day. Did I say cleaning day? I meant Election Day. No thoughts of sugarplums dancing in this head. Visions of crime, poor schools and corruption coming to an end with the election of a new Mayor were taking up my head space. Who can clean the house on this day? I need to debate all day with Menino's volunteer. He'll hold his sign. I'll hold mine. Michael will squash Menino at our location, because Southie People are ready now for change. We don't want to wait 4 more years. Well, unfortunately, although we took Southie, it wasn't enough. We're stuck with Menino for 4 more years. Now I'm ready to do it all again for 2013. But I did take the last 2 days off and finally got the house clean! Now it's back to work. Time to start spreading the word again....Flaherty for Mayor.

1 comment:

  1. You know how some people have actual jobs that pay money? I hear they're really useful.

    ReplyDelete